PCI Error Recovery API Proposal (updated)

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Apr 8 08:30:14 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 13:00 -0700, long wrote:

> Thanks for clearifying the callback after completion of link reset.
> Regarding the callback of API 3), AER code makes the callback API 3)
> to reset the link. Once the upstream Port driver completes link reset
> with a return of PCIERR_RESULT_RECOVERED, meaning the link fully
> operational. AER code makes API 2) callback to the downstream device
> driver. If the downstream driver returns PCIERR_RESULT_RECOVERED,
> the next callback is API 5). This is my understanding of how things
> should work, please correct me if mistaken.

Hrm... I don't think the port driver should enter that picture at all.
As far as I'm concerned, the port driver is part of the implementation.
The defined API really only concerns the downstream device. That is, the
AER can use whatever private PCI-Express API you have to trigger the
link reset. I think that's why we have some misunderstanding about the
definition of this callback.

In my view of things, it's just a call to the downstream device after
the link have been reset, and thus is very similar to 2).