My use of the term "3rd party"

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Fri Oct 15 07:19:17 EST 2004

I just realized that this term has a different meaning to many people than
it does to me in this context.

I meant that it was an independent of the thing it was monitoring.

That is, that its probability of failure is an independent random variable
with respect to the thing it is measuring.  In other words, the failure of
the watchdog timer is uncorrelated to failures of the operating system or
other user of the watchdog timer.

I did *not* mean that you had to buy it from a 3rd party hardware manufacturer.

My apologies for what was probably a poor choice of terminology.

--
     Alan Robertson <alanr at unix.sh>

"Openness is the foundation and preservative of friendship...  Let me claim
from you at all times your undisguised opinions." - William Wilberforce