Hardware Watchdog Device in pSeries?

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Thu Oct 14 21:35:13 EST 2004

On Middeweken 13 Oktober 2004 21:23, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 12:01:45PM -0600, Alan Robertson was heard to remark:

> > This would be a logical equivalent to the well-known and long-standing
> > 'softdog' device driver which already has a well-known API, which is also
> > implemented on other hardware devices and architectures.
> >
> > So, my suggestion would be that if it were moved to a userspace driver,
> > that the softdog API be retained.
>
> I might have volunteered to hack this up real quick, were it not for
> Mike Strosaker's correction, that the surveillance featues were taken
> out of Power5.

FWIW, s390 linux has just added support for a hypervisor watchdog [1]
that looks like a hardware watchdog to linux, but is implemented with
hypercalls ("diag 0x288"). Since Power5 is typically running in hypervisor
more, the watchdog interface could be provided completely by the
firmware.

	Arnd <><

[1] http://ftp2.de.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/\
    2.6.9-rc4/2.6.9-rc4-mm1/broken-out/s390-9-12-z-vm-watchdog-timer.patch