Why do we map PCI IO space so late ?

John Rose johnrose at austin.ibm.com
Fri Oct 1 01:45:15 EST 2004

Hi Ben-

Good questions :)  First let me clear something up, and forgive me if
I'm telling you stuff you already know.  The ioremap()'s that we do at
boot are _exclusively_ done for PHBs.  This creates mappings that span
the ranges for their children buses.  Why do we do this when drivers can
themselves use ioremap()?  Because some drivers still use inb()/outb(),
etc, without remapping their own space.

The short answer to your questions is that I/O DLPAR required these PHB
ioremap()'s to be moved to a later chronological point during boot, so
that imalloc records would be kept.

Here's the long answer.  To dynamically remove a bus (EADS or PHB), we
need to iounmap() the range associated with it.  The iounmap() function
is prototyped in generic code to take one argument, the virtual address
in question.  In order to know the size of the region to unmap, we need
to keep some records of what was ioremap()'ed originally.  The imalloc
subsystem exists to keep these records.

The ppc64 ioremap() implementation has the limitation that if one calls
it before mem_init_done, no imalloc records are left behind.  If we
remap the PHBs early in boot, we have no way to unmap them (or their
children) at DLPAR remove time.  Does this make sense?

As a side note, we didn't similarly defer the remap for ISA, b/c we
assumed that we'd never want to unmap this range.  I wrote the function
that remaps for ISA, and it's a hack, you're right :)  Suggestions are
welcome.  I would ask why your ISA node doesn't have a ranges property,
b/c I thought it was mandatory from some spec.

You asked about ioremap_explicit(). This is used in two ways.  First
during boot, to remap the necessary regions for PHBs after
mem_init_done.  We've saved off the "physical" range info from the ofdt
early in boot, and now we explicitly remap starting at virtual addr
PHBS_IO_BASE.  Second, we use it to remap the range of a newly
DLPAR-added bus.  You can imagine that in the case of adding an EADS
slot, we need the mappings to exist at exact virtual addresses relative
to its parent PHB, etc.  Hence the creation of ioremap_explicit().

Suggestions on improvements are welcome.  Hope this helps, it's before
lunch and I'm being wordy. :)

Thanks-
John