eeh

Paul Mackerras paulus at samba.org
Tue Mar 23 11:32:07 EST 2004

Greg KH writes:

> But it gets called for a ACTION=remove event, after the card is gone.  I
> want a ACTION=fault event before anything touches the card to give

I agree it would be good to give an ACTION=fault event to userspace
early on, using kobject_hotplug().

I'm wondering what you mean by "before anything touches the card"
though.  The driver will be in the middle of doing things with the
card when the EEH event happens, so it will be touching the card until
we get the notification to it that the event has happened.

We also still need to work out some way for type (a) drivers to be
informed about EEH events early on.  Such a driver will want to be
able to say "I can handle this".  If the driver can handle it then
userspace, although it may be informed about the EEH fault, doesn't
need to do anything, at least until the driver throws up its hands and
says it can't cope any more.  Something like an
ACTION=fault-but-driver-is-handling-it code.

Paul.