more eeh

Frank Rowand frowand at mvista.com
Sat Mar 20 05:28:40 EST 2004

linas at austin.ibm.com wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 04:50:26PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
>
>>No, you need to call pci_remove_bus_device() for that device so that the
>>pci core properly cleans up after your device is gone.  That's what the
>>pci hotplug controller drivers eventually call, after handling a bunch
>>of other housekeeping that their hardware requires (putting resources
>>back into a pool, etc.)
>

> If the error is transient and can be cleared, does one still need to call
> pci_remove_bus_device()?   Or is it possible to reset the device state
> without making this call?  Remember, the goal is to reset the device
> into a working state asap, with minimal disturbance of higher layers.
>

>>Remember, you are asking to put policy about EEH events into the kernel.
>

> If the EEH event takes down the disk on which the user-land scripts reside,
> then the event can't be recovered withut putting some kind of policy
> in the kernel.
>

>>remain a PPC64 specific "feature".  If, on the otherhand, you want to do
>>something that will work for all platforms, I suggest the userspace
>>hotplug method.  That will work for everyone.
>

> As far as I know, there are no other pci controllers that support this
> function.  If you know of any plans by Dell or Sun or HP to ship something
> like this in the future, I would welcome the contact, the introduction
> to said parties.
>
> --linas

HP servers have had similar functionality since around 1999.  I don't
know the official names for customers, but internally they were
Prelude, Rhapsody, Staccato, Superdome.  They were PA-RISC systems.
I'm not sure if they same PCI controllers were used for the IA-64
systems.  I also don't know if there is any Linux support for
these systems.

You could try the pa-risc linux email list for more info.  If no
one responds, let me know and I'll call some of my old contacts.

-Frank
--
Frank Rowand <frank_rowand at mvista.com>
MontaVista Software, Inc