more eeh

linas at austin.ibm.com linas at austin.ibm.com
Sat Mar 20 05:01:36 EST 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 04:50:26PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:

> No, you need to call pci_remove_bus_device() for that device so that the
> pci core properly cleans up after your device is gone.  That's what the
> pci hotplug controller drivers eventually call, after handling a bunch
> of other housekeeping that their hardware requires (putting resources
> back into a pool, etc.)

If the error is transient and can be cleared, does one still need to call
pci_remove_bus_device()?   Or is it possible to reset the device state
without making this call?  Remember, the goal is to reset the device
into a working state asap, with minimal disturbance of higher layers.

> Remember, you are asking to put policy about EEH events into the kernel.

If the EEH event takes down the disk on which the user-land scripts reside,
then the event can't be recovered withut putting some kind of policy
in the kernel.

> remain a PPC64 specific "feature".  If, on the otherhand, you want to do
> something that will work for all platforms, I suggest the userspace
> hotplug method.  That will work for everyone.

As far as I know, there are no other pci controllers that support this
function.  If you know of any plans by Dell or Sun or HP to ship something
like this in the future, I would welcome the contact, the introduction
to said parties.

--linas