NAP mode on powerpc 970

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Sun Jan 25 09:03:03 EST 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 10:34:21PM +1100, Anton Blanchard wrote:

> > When I talked to the HV team, they do not want to do this solution.
> > They are leaning towards another alternative, or having it done in FW so
> > the change does not need to be done in multiple places (e.g. Different
> > linux distros, and AIX).
>
> I disagree, we have to support both Apple and IBM products. Stashing
> stuff into our FW may be a good idea for AIX but we dont have to do it
> too.

More importantly... people doing HPC on IBM hardware will want to run
*WITHOUT* the overhead of the hypervisor. The hypervisor is a great idea
for virtualization for the enterprise area, but when you are trying to
get every last floating point operation out of a CPU you run 1 process
per CPU, and the operating system becomes pure overhead.

Troy Benjegerdes                'da hozer'                hozer at drgw.net