Y-HPC Source Code

Kyle Ellrott kellrott at csbl.bmb.uga.edu
Mon Dec 13 06:03:29 EST 2004

You should be able  to build a ppc64 kernel from standard kernel
sources.
I was able to successfully compile the 2.6.9 kernel (no patches) for a
XServe 2.0GHz G5.  Previous kernels crashed on boot up for this
machine.
I did this using a standard copy of YDL 4.0 (I haven't tried from
3.0.1, but should be pretty much the same assuming it's got a G5
capable copy of yaboot), and cross tool (http://kegel.com/crosstool/)

Once you've gotten cross tool, run demo_ppc970.sh and add the created
tool chain bin to your PATH
Then you can build the kernel with

make  ARCH=ppc64 CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu-

Remember to copy in arch/ppc64/configs/g5_defconfig to .config in the
kernel source directory.

Kyle