dynamic addition of OF property to /proc/device-tree

John Rose johnrose at austin.ibm.com
Sat Aug 28 02:12:45 EST 2004

> If we're concerned only with newly added PHB nodes, I think we can
> safely attach the new property right before the node is plugged into the
> device tree, before anything else can get a reference to the new PHB
> node.

I was thinking the same thing, but it's a problem that our device tree
addition happens in a separate step than the rest of the kernel work for
adding a PHB.  Seems like our two options are to 1) add the property in
userspace before handing new nodes to kernel or 2) check explicitly for
PHBs in the kernel dynamic node addition code.  I don't like either of
these much :)

What's the worst that could happen if I remove the node entirely and add
it back with the new property? :)

Thanks-
John