cpumask move patch - RFC

Paul Mackerras paulus at samba.org
Fri Aug 6 11:54:05 EST 2004

Nathan Lynch writes:

> This is incorrect -- get_property does not return the size of the
> property; it stores the size in the third argument.  The return value of
> get_property is a pointer to the kernel's copy of the property itself.

Good point.

I notice also that we need to check for statusp != NULL in this code:

+		statusp = (char *)get_property(np, "status", NULL);
+		if (strcmp(statusp, "okay") != 0)
+			continue;

> While I agree in theory with removing all the cpumask initializations
> from prom_hold_cpus, I don't think simply transplanting the mess is the
> way to do it.  Wouldn't it be nice to have one loop which works on pmac
> and pSeries, SMP and UP, without all those #ifdef's?

It would be nice, if it turns out to be possible. :)  It's not clear
that there is enough consistency between the device tree
representations on the different platforms to be able to achieve that.

I think what Sharada has done is a useful first step.  At least now we
can get rid of a bunch of RELOCs.  Sharada, could you do a revised
patch?

Thanks,
Paul.