stack size limit on ppc/ppc64

Steve Munroe sjmunroe at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 5 11:05:21 EST 2003

Anil K Prasad writes:

> I have code which shouldn't work, working under ppc64 linux.
>
>Theoretically, above code should cause segmentation violation. But
>on ppc64 linux, it puts variable 'p ' in stack segment, I looked at
>/proc/pid/maps, and there was huge memory area from 0x50000000 --->
>0xFFFFF000.

I assume this a 32-bit application?

This looks like it just auto-extending the stack segment. On Powerpc64
the stack can grow from 0xFFFFF000 down until it runs into another
allocation or TASK_UNMAPPED_BASE (0x40000000 which is normally where
ld.so loads). But it should check the ulimit first.

What does ulimit -a say?

Steven J. Munroe
Power Linux Toolchain Architect
IBM Corporation, Linux Technology Center