power4 compiling

Hollis Blanchard hollisb at us.ibm.com
Tue Nov 4 03:09:30 EST 2003

On Monday, Nov 3, 2003, at 02:14 US/Central, Olaf Hering wrote:

>  On Wed, Oct 15, Anton Blanchard wrote:
>>
>>> This patch adds biarch support, removes the hardcoded power4 (which
>>> will
>>> result in a missing tlbiel handling in pSeries_flush_hash_range())
>>> and
>>> adds a missing kdb file (copied from 2.4).
>>
>> It makes sense to optimise for POWER4 in the default kernel. Up until
>> recently -mcpu=POWER4 would tune for it but would still run on RS64
>> and
>> POWER3.
>
> current bk doesnt boot unless I remove the -mcpu=power4 and #if 0 the
> tlbiel calls. system is p610, hangs in instantiating rtas.
>
> we need plan B now. soon.

Mike Wolf has a final power4 patch that I believe just he just needs to
test, but other things may have distracted him.

You shouldn't need to comment out tlbiel. Instead do this:
	CFLAGS = -mtune=power4 -Wa,-mcpu=power4
That will tell the compiler not to use POWER4-specific instructions,
but also tell the assembler it's ok when we use inline asm statements.
If you look closely at the use of tlbiel, you'll see we don't in fact
use them on CPUs that don't support it.

As for your p610, I don't know.

--
Hollis Blanchard