New Kernel on a RS6000 44p 170

Paul Mackerras paulus at samba.org
Thu Mar 27 11:01:00 EST 2003

I'm replying to Peter's reply because I didn't see Daniel's original
message.

Peter Bergner writes:

> Bürgin Daniel (KTSS 1) wrote:
> > I installed Debian Woody on my 44p Box with the How-to's
> > from Rolf Brudeseth mailto:rolfb at us.ibm.com
> > That works fine, but with a old Kernel 2.4.16 from Suse.
> >
> > Now i would like to compile my own Kernel with some
> > differnt Network Settings.
> >
> > I've tried the last stable Kernel from Bitkeeper 2.4.21-pre5

Marcelo's BK tree (bk://linux.bkbits.net/linux-2.4), the linuxppc
stable tree (bk://ppc.bkbits.net/linuxppc_2_4), or some other tree?

Both Marcelo's tree and the linuxppc tree *should* be OK on a 170, if
they aren't then I have some work to do.

> > Please wait, loading kernel...
> >    Elf32 kernel loaded...
> >
> > That's it ! After that, the System hangs.

So, you're booting with yaboot?

Could you do objdump -ph on your old working kernel and the on the new
kernel which doesn't work and send me the output?

> > Can Anybody give me a hint witch Kernel Sources i should take
> > and witch config Settings i should use ?

CONFIG_POWER3 is right; as to other things you don't need the
mac-specific drivers or IDE.  You probably do want CONFIG_VT and
CONFIG_FB and (I would guess) CONFIG_FB_MATROX (depending on what
video card you have).  I can send you the .config I use for ppc32
kernels on RS/6000 170 and 270 machines if you like.

> I'm not sure how good the POWER3 support is in the 32-bit ppc
> kernel, so...

Should be just fine for a machine with <= 3GB of RAM.

Regards,
Paul.