pci <-> device node mapping

Anton Blanchard anton at samba.org
Thu Jun 19 21:23:05 EST 2003

> I have one RFE, and that is to make sure there is enough info there to
> be able to correlate the firmware device location string w/ the pci info.
>
> The other day, I had a hard time matching the id that the LPAR HMC
> uses (e.g. P2-I2/E1) with the actual hard drive on a scsi controller
> (e.g. /dev/hdg).   Much of the trouble came from trying to match the
> entries in /proc/scsi to /proc/pci; I had to compare PCI busids, irq's
> and do some clever guesswork to match one to the other.   If there's a
> userland tool that does this, we over here aren't aware of it ...

Im acutely aware of it, I spent ages trying to bring a large machine up
with some broken SCSI adapters, disks and network cards. Im half
considering stashing the OF name into pci_dev->slot_name (as well
as domain/bus/devfn) and forcing drivers to print it when they fail.

Martin Schwenke has also been doing some good work in this area, he some
AIX style tools for doing inventory management.

We need both, if you dont make it to userspace then you had better hope
the driver will print out its full location before dying.

Anton