Kernel startup problems on p630

VAKKALANKA RAO Sridhar SVakkalankarao at covansys.com
Mon Jun 9 14:57:06 EST 2003

Dave (Boutcher), Linas,

Your sense of humor displaying the depth of your knowledge was indeed humbling (trust me, I'm being honest). Now, here's the joke at my expense. A web search revealed that if I wanted LPAR mode on my macine, I should have ordered it with feature# 6576, as it was known then. Today, it is called feature# 9575. We have started plans to get it installed.

Dave (Engebretsen),

The machine on which the binary ran successfully was indeed in LPAR mode, even though it's firmware level was older! As of today, is it really impossible for Linux to run in SMP mode on the p630 due to firmware bugs (or any other reason)?

You also mentioned that you are resynching to the most recent level of 2.4.21 in the next day or two. Do you intend to make it work on a p630 in SMP mode? If yes, please indicate how the kernel configuration would differ between LPAR and SMP modes.

Thanks a lot
Sri