? about building 64-bit glibc with UL 1.0

linas at austin.ibm.com linas at austin.ibm.com
Sat Jun 7 07:30:45 EST 2003

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 03:24:14PM -0500, vince wrote:
> > need to tell glibc configure where they are using the --with-headers=
> > option.
>
> Thanks for the reply, Steve. I think I was coming to a similar conlusion
> thinking about this at lunch. Since I'm building on the same machine
> I'm targeting, I should be able to use existing 64-bit glibc headers/libs
> already installed on the machine. This is what I did with the 32-bit

N.B. that this can simplify things if you are going for the quick-n-dirty
build, but can result in a whole lot of confusion if, for any reason, there
are differeences between the system default files and the files you needed
for the actual target architecture.  Chances are 99% that you won't ever
trip over one of these subtle differences, but if (when?) you do, you'll
have a classic hard-to-recreate, unreproducible bug, i.e. one that only
affects you but no one else.  Typically these are followed by tense, edgy
emails and veiled remarks to the effect of 'xxx sucks' where xxx is linux,
gcc, or whatever you have it in for on that given day ...  see already,
for example, comments on patches vs. file versioning ...

--linas