lparcfg code

Will Schmidt willschm at us.ibm.com
Fri Dec 12 09:06:39 EST 2003

I've just pushed up some changes that include help text, got rid of those
extra '&' chars, and moved the function opening braces.
I will need to revisit the code before too long to fill in the guts of the
get_splpar_potential_characteristics() function, and will  see what I can
do to resolve the rest of the comments.

The purpose of the lparcfg interface was initially intended to be an
interface for a License Manager  tool to determine what sort of system
capabilities exist.     Some of the contents are available elsewhere in the
device tree, but this is meant to be a 'one-stop shopping' interface. :-)

-Will

willschm at us.ibm.com
Linux on PowerPC-64 Development
IBM Rochester

|---------+--------------------------------------->
|         |           Paul Mackerras              |
|         |           <paulus at samba.org>          |
|         |           Sent by:                    |
|         |           owner-linuxppc64-dev at lists.l|
|         |           inuxppc.org                 |
|         |                                       |
|         |                                       |
|         |           12/10/2003 10:39 PM         |
|         |                                       |
|---------+--------------------------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                            |
  |       To:       Nathan Lynch <nathanl at austin.ibm.com>, Will Schmidt/Rochester/IBM at IBMUS                    |
  |       cc:       linuxppc64-dev at lists.linuxppc.org                                                          |
  |       Subject:  Re: lparcfg code                                                                           |
  |                                                                                                            |

Nathan Lynch writes:

> I noticed this just got committed.
>
> ppc64 at source.scl.ameslab.gov wrote:
> > full patch URL:
> > http://source.scl.ameslab.gov:14690//linux-2.5/patch@1.1343
> >
> > ChangeSet
> >   1.1343 03/12/10 15:46:38 will_schmidt at vnet.ibm.com +5 -0
> >   add/forward port of lparcfg

I noticed that the config option doesn't have any help text.  It's not
necessarily obvious to people what "LPAR configuration data" is or
whether they might want it.  Will, please add some reasonable help
text.

> - functions' opening braces should be on their own lines.

Yes.

Paul.