2.5 kernel on Power3

Todd Inglett tinglett at vnet.ibm.com
Mon Apr 28 22:49:04 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-26 at 19:27, Gary Byers wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've been trying for some time (off and on ...) to build a working
> 2.5 kernel for a Power3 system (a dual-processor 43P/260).  I've
> been compiling with an up-to-date CVS+patches GCC 3.3, and have tried
> using both the 2.5.66 source from kernel.org and the bk treee from
> source.scl.amselab.gov.

Hmm...the ameslab tree should work.  At least I always test it on my
2-way 44P/270 which is very similar to your 260.

[...]
> The generated kernels all hang at the same point (the last message
> is "returning from prom_init").  I've tried pulling the video
> card (a repackaged Matrox Mystique, or something like it) and the
> only difference is that the "returning from prom_init" message is
> diverted to a serial console.

Eliminating the video adapter was a good move.  The console should now
go to ttyS0, but you can force it with console=ttyS0 anyway (this
shouldn't be needed).

Do you see anything at all on the LEDs?  It might be as simple as having
the serial cable attached to ttyS1.  I'm pretty sure the 260 has two
serial ports.

The next message out should be "Starting Linux PPC64 <version>..." and
it is forced to go out ttyS0.

--
Todd Inglett <tinglett at vnet.ibm.com>