kernel cross-compile

Hollis Blanchard hollis-lists at austin.rr.com
Mon Jun 24 13:00:32 EST 2002

on 21/6/02 2:12 PM, Peter Bergner at bergner at brule.borg.umn.edu wrote:

> Igor Muratov wrote:
> : Yes, I build it on i686 :-(

There is nothing wrong with that; I do it all the time.

> : Ok If I build cross tools for powerpc-linux, How can I use it?
> : I must place this tools together?
>
> Having never done a cross-build from x86, I can't really answer this.
> Anyone???  If you installed SuSE's x86->ppc64 cross tools, then I'd
> just grab their x86->ppc cross tools too.

You must edit another Makefile to specify your cross-compiler,
arch/ppc/boot/Makefile I think.

> : Another way. I can "make vmlinux" but this image is wrong IMHO.
> : I try to load it via tftp and have this message on my console

Those messages (unfortunately omitted here, but I think I remember them...)
looked simply like a failed tftp attempt, which is not vmlinux's fault. Of
course a vmlinux is much larger than a zImage, which greatly increases the
chance of an ARP timeout on the host (and ARP requests greatly confuse
RS/6000 firmware when they occur mid-tftp).

-Hollis