64bit glibc

Anton Blanchard anton at samba.org
Tue Jul 16 10:28:28 EST 2002

Hi,

I just had a look over 64 bit glibc and have some random thoughts.

1. I compared us with x86-64 and noticed they have unsigned long st_dev,
st_ino, st_nlink in their stat structures. They also reserve space for
nanoseconds in some of the ipc structs.

2. The overflow of the TOC is nasty. I just got it while compiling
samba. We need to fix it one way or another. Compiling everything with
-mminimal-toc is not a great solution, we should either make gcc much
more efficient at TOC usage or else add a mixed mode 32/64 bit target
to gcc. Thoughts?

Anton