undefined references in ppc64 libc.so

Steve Munroe sjmunroe at us.ibm.com
Sat Dec 14 09:32:32 EST 2002

>  I did an "ld --help" but do not see any info on "--dotsyms".
>  I am using binutils-2.12.1 with the binutils-2.12.1-ppc64.patch
>  applied.  What is the version of the latest binutils I should use
>  for ppc64, binutil-2.13 ??

I think binutils-2.13.* is required. The glibc/scripts/version.awk hack was
not submitted to glibc-2.3 cvs because the newer binutils worked without
it.

> I have to apply
> a patch to glibc-2.3 to fix a cross development problem
> though. With this patch I was able to overcome the "header
> too old" problem, continue and actuall built the library libc.so.

I am concerned with this "patch". If you use the correct kernel headers and
--with-headers= on the configure this error would not occur. For PPC64 you
must use the 2.4.20 kernel with patch from ftp.linuxppc64.org. And you must
use the headers from this kernel to build glibc.