[Linuxppc-users] PostgreSQL support on IBM Power Systems

Daniel Black daniel at linux.ibm.com
Wed Sep 4 16:33:10 AEST 2019

On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 04:26:59 +0000
<Tommi.Sihvo at tieto.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are running quite many EDB v.10 clusters (dual site & with witness node configuration) on top of Linux on Power (RHEL 7.6LE) & Power8; and we have actually automated the deployment & EDB basic binary & config setup (PowerVC json REST + BSA post-script), so setting up new environments takes only a moment..
>
> Customers have been really satisfied, one is consolidating all their edb databases on this environment based of experience they are having with the setup.

Good. I still wouldn't mind any running DB performance insights (off-list is obviously fine) for those customers/potential customers that measure hardware purchases based on benchmarks.

> We are also looking candidate customers for migrating some Oracle x86 environments  into Linux on Power EDB.
> Would be a nice project to try, but couple of cases have ended up dead because the 3rd party application using the database supports only Oracle.. (

A talk on that had some useful hints unfortunately most where in the video but not slides. I'll have to ask if it got legal threats to remove (was rather critical of AWS tools and disclosed they where a poor wrapper of a named vendor product).

https://www.percona.com/live/19/sessions/migrating-between-proprietary-and-open-source-database-technologies-calculating-your-roi

Overall it painted it as rather a large effort with a lot of manual effort even with tools available. 3rd party where frequently cited as problems too.

MariaDB-10.3 also includes a oracle mode too which is obviously a lot newer.