[Linuxppc-users] RHEL 7.5 & Power compatibility

Frank Novak fnovak at us.ibm.com
Thu May 24 00:20:14 AEST 2018

"Linuxppc-users"
<linuxppc-users-bounces+fnovak=us.ibm.com at lists.ozlabs.org> wrote on
05/23/2018 08:54:20 AM:

> From: <Tommi.Sihvo at tieto.com>
> To: <dan at danny.cz>, <linuxppc-users at lists.ozlabs.org>
> Date: 05/23/2018 08:56 AM
> Subject: Re: [Linuxppc-users] RHEL 7.5 & Power compatibility
> Sent by: "Linuxppc-users" <linuxppc-users-bounces
> +fnovak=us.ibm.com at lists.ozlabs.org>
>
> Thanks for replies Dan & Frank! (
>
> I've discussed this issue more today with IBM guys; and what I
> understood is that this Alternate version is more or less for
> Baremetal installations (like in Power AI HW);
Correct, RHEL-ALT would be for baremetal on Power9 systems, including
support of KVM..

> but when using e.g
> PowerVM; you should
> be able to go with the default RHEL with the 3.10 kernel on Power9
> as well; it will just then work like RHEL 6 on Power8 (e.g will run
> on Power8 Compatibility mode)

Correct, on Power9 platforms that support PowerVM, you can run the classic
RHEL in a VM in Power8 compat mode
and likely on those PowerVM systems, RHEL classic is the better way to go
especially given the support lifecycle

Userspace is the same between the corresponding RHEL, and RHEL-ALT
releases..

> Br,
> tommi
>
> On 22/05/2018, 18.33, "Linuxppc-users on behalf of Dan Horák"
> <linuxppc-users-bounces+tommi.sihvo=tieto.com at lists.ozlabs.org on
> behalf of dan at danny.cz> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, 22 May 2018 10:02:48 +0000
>     <Tommi.Sihvo at tieto.com> wrote:
>
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > Does anyone know if the RHEL 7.5 Alternate version (built for full
>     > support on Power9, with kernel version 4.14 ) will run on Power8 ?
>     > And if yes…is it officially supported too ? ☺  Or is that
Alternate
>     > RHEL ONLY for Power9 usage?
>
>     you should be able to confirm that on Red Hat website (or with Red
Hat
>     directly), but AFAIK RHEL 7.5 Alt is supported on Power9 only
>

>           Dan

Cheers,
Frank

Frank Novak  ( 诺帆 nuò、fān )