[Linuxppc-users] RHEL 7.5 & Power compatibility

Tommi.Sihvo at tieto.com Tommi.Sihvo at tieto.com
Wed May 23 22:54:20 AEST 2018

Thanks for replies Dan & Frank! (

I've discussed this issue more today with IBM guys; and what I understood is that this Alternate version is more or less for Baremetal installations (like in Power AI HW); but when using e.g PowerVM; you should
be able to go with the default RHEL with the 3.10 kernel on Power9 as well; it will just then work like RHEL 6 on Power8 (e.g will run on Power8 Compatibility mode)

Br,
tommi

On 22/05/2018, 18.33, "Linuxppc-users on behalf of Dan Horák" <linuxppc-users-bounces+tommi.sihvo=tieto.com at lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of dan at danny.cz> wrote:

    On Tue, 22 May 2018 10:02:48 +0000
    <Tommi.Sihvo at tieto.com> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know if the RHEL 7.5 Alternate version (built for full
    > support on Power9, with kernel version 4.14 ) will run on Power8 ?
    > And if yes…is it officially supported too ? ☺  Or is that Alternate
    > RHEL ONLY for Power9 usage?

    you should be able to confirm that on Red Hat website (or with Red Hat
    directly), but AFAIK RHEL 7.5 Alt is supported on Power9 only

    		Dan