PCI support on the ML310 (Linux 2.4/2.6) (Juliana Su)

Juliana Su js084 at bucknell.edu
Thu Sep 11 09:40:41 EST 2008

Hi,

To recap, I am using the MontaVista Linux 2.4 kernel and Xilinx EDK 9.1
and 10.1. My goal is to port Linux onto the ML310 board with PCI
support. I am having a lot of difficultly accomplishing this goal, however.

When I turn on the board using the MVL-2.4-EDK-9.1 system off of a CF
card, it still gets stuck after "Now booting the kernel". When I look
into the contents of the log_buf after the hang, all I get is 1032,
which is a data link escape and then the number 2 (if I translated that
from hex to ASCII correctly), over and over again. I believe that I am
looking in the right place. In system.map, __log_buf is located at
0xc01fa494, so I issue the command mrd 0x1fa494 200 to look at the
contents of the log_buf.

Now, when I try booting the MVL-2.4-EDK-10.1 system off of the CF card,
I get no output. Interestingly, when I download the ELF file onto the
board using a JTAG cable, I get output, but again it hangs after "Now
booting the kernel". In this case, the log_buf after the hang is just
filled with junk.

So, this brings me to a few questions, which I hope people could help
answer for me...

1) Does anybody have any additional ideas about why my kernel isn't
booting? This seems to be a common problem; I've looked through the
archives for a solution, but unfortunately, I haven't found one. Even
suggestions on where to look for problems would be helpful.

2) Is anybody aware of any issues with using EDK 10.1 to generate a base
hardware system for the ML310? I noticed that 10.1 builds the hardware
differently (for instance, there is no PLB2OPB bridge option in the Base
System Builder), however the Base System Builder should still build a
compatible hardware system despite having different IO and peripheral
device options, right? I personally prefer 9.1, but I was asked to try
10.1.

3) Does anybody know from experience if the MontaVista Linux 2.6 kernel
that comes with MontaVista Professional Edition 4.0 works on the ML310?
Specifically, does it support the PCI? (I like how you only have to deal
with one BSP file if you use 2.6, as opposed to many BSP files when
using 2.4.)

Let me know if you need more information from me. Thanks for your help!

-Juliana

Message: 3