One image for two different core

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 11:43:24 EST 2008

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 05:18:45PM -0700, Bizhan Gholikhamseh (bgholikh) wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I am doing a feasibility study whether I can have one image for two
>different  platform with e300 ad e500 core. The idea is uboot will
>detect which type of the processor is running and pass the information
>to the early Linux startup, then the code will configure itself based on
>what type of core it is.

That doesn't really sound possible to me with a single kernel binary.  If
I remember correctly, e300 is a 603e style CPU, and e500 is a BookE CPU.
They have totally different MMUs (among other things), which means you
would really need to separate kernel binaries to support that.

I'm not an Freescale core expert though, so I might be confused or don't
know of some way that would work.

josh