uImage getting changed each time when kernel build

santhoshunnikrishnan at tataelxsi.co.in santhoshunnikrishnan at tataelxsi.co.in
Thu Oct 16 19:20:22 EST 2008

Hi ,

I am working on SH4 architecture. I observed one strange thing. Each time i
build my kernel image (uImage) the last 10% of the uImage content is
changing. I compared uImages using diff command and with Beyond Compare
tool, which i did using binary as well as rule based comparison with time
stamp comparison disabled. I observed that every time when i build the
kernel image the lower 10% of the uImage differ from the previously build
uImage (build with in 20 min before the last one). Can any one help me to
know the reason behind this behavior? I want to know more about the format
of uImage and what exactly the lower 10% contains? i searched in various
sites and referred the documentation of U-boot. But i dint get the reason
for this behavior. I did the same comparison with vmlinux and vmlinux.bin
and i observed that each time i build these vmlinux and vimlinux.bin they
differ from the previous images (which i build 20 min before the last one )
by a max of 10 lines.
When i opened two vimlinux images (which i build with in a time gap of 20
min)using the readelf command. I observed that the last byte of some of the
address are different in the two vmlinux images. why it is so?
Please help me to understand this.

Thanks,
Santhosh

Regards,
Santhosh Unnikrishnan

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments contained in it.