Using DMA

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Sat Nov 8 09:28:11 EST 2008

Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com wrote:

> So it sounds like the async dma is the way to go, since I want to off load
> as much as possible from the core.  As you say, though, it's new and not
> in LDD3.  Is .../drivers/dma/dmaengine.c what everyone is refering to as
> async dma?

Yes.

>  If not, what is?  And what in the kernel is already using it
> so I can look at some example code.

There's some network stuff that uses it for optimization.  If CONFIG_NET_DMA is
enabled, that will turn on some kind of TCP/IP offloading.  I don't really know
much about that.  There's also a dmatest.c testing driver.

It would definitely be nice to see a third client driver.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale