Using DMA

Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com
Sat Nov 8 09:12:16 EST 2008

timur.tabi at gmail.com wrote on 11/07/2008 01:46:42 PM:

> Whether or not using async dma is worth the effort can only be
> determined by profiling the code.  Either it's better, or it's not.
> There's no real way to tell in advance.

Pretty much the answer I expected :), I was just hoping that "wiser and
more experienced" minds would say "oh, well to do what you want you should
go in this direction".  Ah well, such is the life of a kernel hacker.

So it sounds like the async dma is the way to go, since I want to off load
as much as possible from the core.  As you say, though, it's new and not
in LDD3.  Is .../drivers/dma/dmaengine.c what everyone is refering to as
async dma?  If not, what is?  And what in the kernel is already using it
so I can look at some example code.

Thanks very much for the pointers Timur.

Bruce