linux 2.6 hangs at __delay function on Viretx 4 board

John Linn John.Linn at xilinx.com
Thu May 29 00:07:59 EST 2008

Hi Swamy,

Sorry for the long delay. Sounds like the console is not setup
correctly.

I notice in your command line it appears that you have 2 console
statements.  I have not tested this ever and I would change it to only
have the console=ttyS0,9600.  I have seen other mailings, no Xilinx
specific, related to this causing problems.

This console setup assumes you're using the Xilinx 16550 UART.  It could
be an issue with the xparameters*.h file with the address of the UART.

Have you compared your arch/ppc/platforms/4xx/xparameters/xparameters*.h
file, whichever one it's setup to use, to the ones that we provided in
the Git tree?

I'm assuming you have the kernel configured correctly to use the
UART16550 driver and the console is turned on, both are needed.  The
16550 is 8250 compatible (mostly) and works with it's driver from Linux.

CONFIG_SERIAL_8250=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_CONSOLE=y

Thanks,
John