ppc platform for AMCC-440EPx - ELDK to the rescue

Steve Heflin sheflin at newagemicro.com
Thu Mar 27 00:08:03 EST 2008

I finally resolved my nightmare of getting linux-2.6.24/5... to work
on my AMCC-440Epx - Sequoia spinoff board. Following a clue I derived
from a reply from Wolfgang Denx, I went to the DENX Engineering site
where I discoved and downloaded the ELDK for the ppc_4xxFP. the ELDK
uses the ppc platform instead of the powerpc platform.  FINALLY the
early debugging console output worked, which doesn't work at all
using the powerpc platform (and yes, I had the correct port address
configured).  After that, I was able to see that it was the
"setup_hose" function called from /arch/ppc/platforms/4xx/sequoia.c
that caused my board to hang. This Sequoia spinoff board has the PCI
Host Bridge disabled which I didn't realize until that point.

Looking back at the powerpc platform, I don't see how to disable the
Host Bridge initialization without disabling the entire PCI
bus.  This board does have 2 devices hooked on the PCI bus, just no
need for a Host Bridge.

Also, I fail to see what the DTS virtualization layer of the hardware
buys us. When debugging, it's so much harder to use than the ppc
platform's straight forward and standard methodologies.  I can't
understand to goal to eliminate the ppc platform, especially given
the fact that DENX's ELDK is still using it with Linux 2.6.24.2 !!

Best Regards to all,
Special Thanks to Wolfgang Denx,
Steve Heflin