Help getting USB keyboard active on MPC5200B

Edward Jubenville edjubenville at adelphia.net
Tue Mar 18 04:42:36 EST 2008

I would appreciate a little help getting a USB keyboard working on a
MPC5200B-based Lite5200 clone board.

I'm working with the 2.4.25 kernel from ELDK 3.1.  I've tweaked my kernel
configuration parameters enough to have gotten a some USB functionality
working (memory stick, and mouse), but I cannot get any keyboard-related
device name to show up in the /dev tree.

I have USB debug enabled for verbose messages.  When I plug in a keyboard I
see:

  hub.c: new USB device 0-1.4, assigned address 5
  Manufacturer: Dell
  Product: Dell USB Keyboard
  usb.c: USB device 5 (vend/prod 0x413c/0x2003) is not claimed by any active
driver.
    Length              = 18
    DescriptorType      = 01
    USB version         = 1.10
    Vendor:Product      = 413c:2003
    MaxPacketSize0      = 8
    NumConfigurations   = 1
    Device version      = 3.01
    (remainder omitted)

I assume the message "... is not claimed by any driver" is the problem I
need to address.

I've compared my configuration parameters to those used in the Lite5200
CoralP configuration that supports USB, and I don't see any differences
related to the keyboard that might explain what's wrong.

When I diff my configuration to non-USB
arch/ppc/configs/icecube_5200_defconfig, these parameters stand out:

	CONFIG_INPUT=y
	CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV=y
	CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
	CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
	CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
	CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=y
	CONFIG_VT=y
	CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
	CONFIG_MOUSE=y
	CONFIG_USB=y
	CONFIG_USB_DEBUG=y
	CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
	CONFIG_USB_OHCI_5xxx=y
	CONFIG_USB_OHCI_BIG_ENDIAN=y
	CONFIG_USB_OHCI=y
	CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=y
	CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG=y
	CONFIG_USB_HID=y
	CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT=y
	CONFIG_USB_HIDDEV=y

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get access to the USB
keyboard?  I'm using a serial system console and wish to keep it that way,
so the keyboard needs to be available an application input device.

Thanks,

Ed Jubenville