Compile time error, compiling Xilinx Linux 2.6 for XPS LLTEMAC

Stephen Neuendorffer stephen.neuendorffer at xilinx.com
Tue Mar 18 02:49:54 EST 2008

Sorry, but I'm not in a position to discuss product roadmaps.  The kinds
of technical questions are best handled by regular sales channels.

Steve

linuxppc-embedded at ozlabs.org
> Subject: RE: Compile time error, compiling Xilinx Linux 2.6 for XPS
LLTEMAC

> Ok, thanks for guidance,
>
> by the way it is interesting for me to hear about EDK 10.1 from u
steve,
> EDK 9.2 has been around just for a little time and you are going to
10.1?

> What about future plan of xilinx about Virtex-5 FX? does this tool
consider that?
> the future plan is really important for our development team. let me
give a simple example, our dev
> team worked on the design of our system based on PLB and OPB buses for
some thing near 6 month, just
> then EDK 9.2.02 released and suddenly we forced to change all of the
designs and to define new
> activities specially focusing on MPMC. we did never consider MPMC
before, but the release of EDK 9.2
> changed every thing.
>
> Now, that would be nice, if we can know your future plan a little,
that would help us to generate
> correct and real gant charts. and to assign human resources correctly.
this is also true for the
> project budget. We know that Virtex-5 devices are really capable of
doing better things than Virtex-
> 4, specially the PCI express option is great and very usable for us,
but we have not moved to virtex-

linuxppc-embedded at ozlabs.org

> 	Ah, thanks mike...  you knocked the answer loose out of my
brain...

> 	In EDK 9.2., the ll_temac generates either SDMA or FIFO defines,
as necessary.
> 	The platform data structure contains entries for both, with the
correct ones being ignored.  In
> order to get the code to compile, there are some defines in
xparameters.h which have:

> 	#ifndef XPAR_LLTEMAC_0_LLINK_CONNECTED_FIFO_INTR
> 	#define XPAR_LLTEMAC_0_LLINK_CONNECTED_FIFO_INTR 0xdeadbeef
> 	#endif
> 	#ifndef XPAR_LLTEMAC_0_LLINK_CONNECTED_DMATX_INTR
> 	#define XPAR_LLTEMAC_0_LLINK_CONNECTED_DMATX_INTR 0xdeadbeef
> 	#endif
> 	#ifndef XPAR_LLTEMAC_0_LLINK_CONNECTED_DMARX_INTR
> 	#define XPAR_LLTEMAC_0_LLINK_CONNECTED_DMARX_INTR 0xdeadbeef
> 	#endif
>
> 	after including xparameter_ml403.h
>
> 	I'm guessing maybe you overwrote the xparameters.h file and got
rid of these redefines?  You
> can define it to be whatever you want, since the value will be ignored
if you are using SDMA.

> 	In EDK 10.1, the BSP generator will always generate all the
defines (even ones which are not
> sensible in the current configuration), which avoids the above
annoyances.

> 	Steve

linuxppc-embedded-bounces+stephen=neuendorffer.name at ozlabs.org on behalf
of Koss, Mike
> (Mission Systems)
> 	Sent: Sat 3/15/2008 9:12 PM
> 	To: Mohammad Sadegh Sadri; linuxppc-embedded at ozlabs.org
> 	Subject: RE: Compile time error, compiling Xilinx Linux 2.6 for
XPS LLTEMAC

> 	That interrupt is defined if you build a xps_ll_temac with the
> 	xps_ll_fifo interface. Since you already stated that you're
using the
> 	mpmc, I'm going to assume that you have it connected to a SDMA
> 	controller on the mpmc. As such the driver should be looking for
that
> 	definition, and not the FIFO interrupt. I don't have your
version of the
> 	virtex_devices.c to have a reference as to how the platform
device is
> 	being defined, so hopefully either Stephen N can chime in w/
more
> 	information, or point me to the version of the virtex_devices.c
that
> 	you're using and I can try to provide some more assistance.
>
> 	-- Mike
>
> 	________________________________

LLTEMAC

> 	All,
>
> 	that should be a small problem, and i think that its solution
should be
> 	simple,
>
> 	I generate a base system using EDK 9.2.02 , the base system
contains
> 	XPS_LL_TEMAC , MPMC and other components,
> 	I generate the software libraries and copy xparameters file into
proper
> 	kernel folder. I configure that kernel and add kernel support
for
> 	XPS_LL_TEMAC.
>
> 	while doing make I encounter this error:
>
> 	arch/ppc/syslib/virtex_devices.c:455: error:
> 	'XPAR_LLTEMAC_0_LLINK_CONNECTED_FIFO_INTR' undeclared here (not
in a
> 	function)
>
> 	I think that this definition should be available in
xparameters_ml403.h