ML403 Linux port questions

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Sat Mar 1 07:46:24 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Phil Hochstetler
<Phil.Hochstetler at serveron.com> wrote:
> I guess what I am looking for is advise on the lowest risk, easiest to set
> up environment to setup that will just work.  Also advise on which kernel to
> use.   I don't need a detailed tutorial but a high level direct that is
> known to work.  I am thinking of using either the secret lab tree or the
> Xilinx tree as recommended in Grants wiki page.  Should I just forget using
> XP and install a Linux (x86 processor so I must use cross tools)?   If so,
> what is the recommend distro and what version?

Yes, absolutely.  Going down the cygwin path is doable, but it is a
path of pain.  I strongly recommend using a Linux host.  (I personally
use Ubuntu, but you should have good success with any disto.  Use what
you're most comfortable with).

The simplest approach to get running with a Linux box is to install
either VirtualBox or VMware and create yourself a Linux virtual
machine.  That will get you up and running without having to obtain
new hardware or risk breaking your XP setup.

Cheers,
g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.