ML403 Linux port questions

Darcy Watkins DWatkins at tranzeo.com
Sat Mar 1 05:13:44 EST 2008

Hello,

I am using an AMCC PPC405EP based system and find that the following
works...

Development / build machine --> Fedora core 6 or 7 on x86 PC

Cross compile and target rootfs generation --> Buildroot

Linux kernel (at least to start with) --> 2.6.19.2 from DENX ELDK 4.1

Of course, you can use the cross compile environment from ELDK if you
like.  I used it at first (had a very good out-of-box experience on AMCC
Taihu with it) and then switched to Buildroot later.

http://www.denx.de <http://www.denx.de/>  for ELDK / kernel

http://buildroot.uclibc.org <http://buildroot.uclibc.org/>  for
Buildroot

I am presently using the Linux 2.6.19.2 kernel with I-Pipe real time
extension (2.3.0) from the Xenomai project - as bundled in ELDK 4.1 by
DENX.  I have also experimented with some newer stuff, but this involves
diving into the board support migration from arch/ppc to arch/powerpc
which is still pretty bleeding edge. 2.6.19.2 is pretty safe and not too
old - and is probably the newest available with RT option while still
being in the arch/ppc tree.

Don't attempt to have buildroot automatically build the kernel for you
as part of its config - that may cause you grief as their integration
for PowerPC kernels appears hit-and-miss for 40x series due to all the
arch/ppc versus arch/powerpc stuff.  Also, the buildroot automatic
kernel generation doesn't include RT support (in case you need it).

Regards,

Darcy