Migrating from 2.6.11 to 2.6.23 breaks pci-e with LSI 1068 SAS chip

Vince Asbridge vasbridge at sanblaze.com
Wed Jun 25 01:51:29 EST 2008

All,

I'm new to this mailing list, but have not had any luck finding information
on this issue.

Please be kind if I break the forum rules on my first post.

We recently tried to upgrade our Freescale CDS 8548 look-alike module (code
name ATCA1000) from the 2.6.11 based BSP to the 2.6.23 based BSP.

The upgrade went fairly smoothly, until we tried using SOME pci-e devices
(some work fine, some don't show up to lspci).

LSI pci-e controllers no longer show up at all!

We see the ixgbe (intel 10G), SiliconImage SATA controller but do not see
LSI devices (Specifically 1068 SAS, FC949-E fibrechannel).

We're guessing it's a resource issue behind the bridge, because the LSI
devices try to allocate 1 - 3M behind the bridge, but we can't find the bug,
or where we would debug such an issue.

The devices seem to "train" correctly, because we have an LED on the pci-e
switch (PLX 8 port pci-e switch), and it's ON indicating pci-e link between
the bridge and the 1068 device).

We're totally at a loss as to why this always worked on the 2.6.11 kernel
but doesn't work on 2.6.23.

Using lspci, the LSI adapters do not show up in the list at all, as though
they are not plugged into the system.

Is there something that needs to be done with respect to PCI-E devices that
is new in the 2.6.23 based BSP that did not need to be done in the 2.6.11
based kit?  For example, are pci resources allocated by a different piece of
code, that may have some issue allocating resources for the LSI adapters?

I currently do not have access to a pci-e analyzer.

Thanks for any help,
Vince Asbridge