mpc8313erdb

Carlos Roberto Moratelli carlos.moratelli at digitel.com.br
Sat Jun 21 02:43:15 EST 2008

> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 16:12:20 +0530
> From: "Nidhi Dua" <dua.nidhi2007 at gmail.com>
> Subject: mpc8313erdb
> To: linuxppc-embedded at ozlabs.org
>
> We are using the board MPC8313ERDB and we are facing problems regarding
> u-boot environment variables(the environment variables displayed after
> giving 'printenv' command at u-boot prompt).
>
> We are following the steps stated as below:
>
> 1. =>printenv
>
> output is:
> bootargs=root=/dev/mtdblock2 rootfstype=jffs2 rw console=ttyS0,115200
> bootcmd=bootm fe100000 - fe700000
> filesize=1a4a05
> fileaddr=200000
> ipaddr=192.168.1.101
> serverip=192.168.1.57
> stdin=serial
> stdout=serial
> stderr=serial
> ethact=TSEC0
>

> Here ethact is TSEC0 by default.
>
> 2. =>setenv ethact TSEC1
> 3. =>saveenv
> output:
> Saving Environment to Flash...
> Un-Protected 1 sectors
> Erasing Flash...
> . done
> Erased 1 sectors
> Writing to Flash... done
> Protected 1 sectors
>
> Here we have set the ethact variable to TSEC1 and saved it. Now it is
> showing that this value of ethact is burnt in flash. But after the board is
> reset,
>
> 4. =>printenv
>
> ileaddr=200000
> ipaddr=192.168.1.101
> serverip=192.168.1.57
> stdin=serial
> stdout=serial
> stderr=serial
> ethact=TSEC0
>
> Here again the value of ethact is changed to TSEC0.
>
> we have following questions:
>
> question 1: We want to know the reason why it(ethact variable) changes to
> TSEC0 everytime with a reset.

This variable (ethact) isn't save with the enviroment variables.

> question2: After we have set ethact to TSEC1 and saved it(=>saveenv) and
> tried to ping the Host from u-boot prompt it is working (displaying: 'host
> alive').
> But when we are trying to ping Target board from the host it is showing:
>
> PING 192.168.1.101 (192.168.1.101) 56(84) bytes of data.
> >From 192.168.1.57 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
> >From 192.168.1.57 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
> --- 192.168.1.101 ping statistics ---
> 12 packets transmitted, 0 received, +9 errors, 100% packet loss, time
> 11002ms
> , pipe 3
>
> Why is it happening so?

Ping from a host to U-Boot should't work. U-Boot isn't able to respond a
ping protocol. Maybe this link can be usefull:

http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=bootloaders:u-boot:faq

> question 3: After we have set 'ethact' to TSEC1, the kernel is loaded, and
> we have logged -in, when we try to ping the Host from target it says '100%
> packet lost'. also we are unable to ping target from the host. Why is it
> happening so?

After the kernel boot, did you try using ifconfig command to configure
the ethernet interface?

> Awaiting a prompt reply
> Regards
> Nidhi Dua