PPC to PowerPC Migration

Jens Wirth jewirth at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 12 18:14:11 EST 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Andrew Schmidt
<andrewgschmidt at gmail.com> wrote:
> First off, thank you everyone for replying, I must admit I was only
> expecting a few people to reply, but this is great.  I certainly am
> interested in any help I can get.  I suspect my first task is to go over the
> information given and then start to draft up a simple text file.  I am more
> experienced with the Xilinx PPC so initially the documentation may seems a
> little biased, but if anyone with other areas of expertise (as is evident
> from the emails received thus far) wants to help broaden it, that would be
> great.  I will get back to you shortly with my first "attempt."

I'm currently working with a custom design on a Xilinx ML300 board
to evaluate the realtime capabilities of the linux kernel with rt-patches.
Since this is my first experience with embedded Linux I had the most
trouble with understanding the coherences of the most general stuff
like the difference between ppc and powerpc as well as the need for
a device tree within powerpc but not ppc. Everything is documented
very well for it's own, but I would appreciate to see a documentation
that gives a bit more overview to the subject which is important for
beginners.

Well, I'm going to document my work from the system design using
EDK and ISE through to creating a running linux from scratch based
on this design. I'd like to support your documentation as much as I can.

Regards,
Jens Wirth