Is the linux-2.6.25.4 compatible with freescale lite5200b?

Mike Timmons mike_timmons at trimble.com
Fri Jun 6 18:27:24 EST 2008

Henry,

You are closer than you think with the ARCH=powerpc. You need to load
one more binary file into ram and specify one more address for bootm.
You need to load the device tree blob (DENX addresses this at
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/LinuxFDTBlob). Thanks again DENX...

Following your ARCH=powerpc build you should see a NEW file in your
build output: rootfs/boot/lite5200b.dtb

Simply tftp that file to a RAM location on your target that WILL NOT
overlap the kernel image (for obvious reasons:-))

Then, alter your bootm command with a SECOND address indicating where
this BLOB was placed when it was tftp'd into your RAM. In my case, I
unpack (tftp) my kernel to 0x200000 and I tftp my dtb file to 400000 so
my bootm command from the u-boot prompt looks like the following. Yes,
you need that little dash there (If your U-boot doesn't like this
command then you probably have an old U-boot version and you will need
to upgrade your U-boot. I'm using U-boot 1.3.1 and it works for me)

-> bootm 200000 - 400000

Rather than give you the dts file (it is the device tree that gets
"compiled" to create the dtb file when you build the kernel), let me
simply tell you one thing you need to change:

1)       edit arch/powerpc/boot/dts/lite5200b.dts

a.       change line 45 to:        reg = <00000000 8000000>   // change
to 128M from 256M.

Do these two things and I think you will happily boot your 2.6.25 kernel
as ARCH=powerpc.

Once you are this far you will need to get familiar with the
lite5200b.dts "device tree" if you are porting this to a custom board
and/or adding HW or wanting to use external IRQs. Let's save for later.

On the subject of your wireless card, you can look for driver or write
your own PCI driver. Now that you are running the latest kernel (2.6.25)
I recommend you study the following books:

BOOK

Essential Linux Device Drivers <http://safari.oreilly.com/9780132396554>

By

Sreekrishnan Venkateswaran
<http://www.informit.com/authors/author_bio.aspx?ISBN=9780132396554>

BOOK

Linux Device Drivers, 3rd Edition <http://safari.oreilly.com/0596005903>

By

Jonathan Corbet
<http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/catalog/view/au/592?x-t=book.view> ; Greg
Kroah-Hartman
<http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/catalog/view/au/2077?x-t=book.view> ;
Alessandro Rubini
<http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/catalog/view/au/461?x-t=book.view>

A $20 per-month subscription to safari.oreilly.com will get you access
to these and MANY MORE titles (you might even be able to try it for
free).

-Mike