ML507 EDK 10.1

John Linn John.Linn at xilinx.com
Tue Jun 3 00:35:45 EST 2008

Hi Neelu,

The easiest way to get a good baseline with the board and the kernel is
to use the bitstream for the board that we provide in the file,
linux_support.tar.gz, on http://git.xilinx.com.

In the PPC440 directory of the support file, there's a bit stream for
the board. If you don't use a Xilinx probe to download to the board, you
will need to create an ACE file from that bit stream, but it sounds like
you know how to do that.

I know the state of the Xilinx Git tree, but I don't know the state of
Grant's for sure. We have baselined our Git tree such that you should be
able to make it work quick and easy (that's our goal).

To build arch/powerpc, the following commands should create zImage in
the arch/powerpc/boot directory that can be used with the bitstream from
the linux_support.tar.gz file.  I am currently using the ELDK 4.1 tools
to build the kernel.

> make ARCH=powerpc ml507_defconfig
> make ARCH=powerpc zImage

We also provide a ramdisk image in the support file, you can build it
also after copying the ramdisk images into the arch/powerpc/boot
directory.  The default command line of the kernel, in the ml507.dts
file in the arch/powerpc/boot/dts directory, is setup to use the
ramdisk.

> make ARCH=powerpc zImage.initrd

Hope that helps,
John Linn