[OT] write flash on MPC5200 board via jtag

WITTROCK jwittrock at maginst.com
Wed Jul 23 22:21:49 EST 2008

I am using  http://urjtag.org/ UrJtag  to do accomplish this.  I have used it
with both a Wiggler clone and an Altera UsbBlaster as the physical JTAG
interface on both a Linux and Windows (cygwin) host.  The only problem is
that this approach is very slow, so I wrote a small (~8kb) "bootstrap"
program which is first put into flash.  This small program then handles
programming u-boot to flash over a serial interface.  Once u-boot is in
place, I use it to program the rest of flash.

Some JTAG tools actually place a small application in the target devices
ram, then this application allows much faster programming of an attached
flash device.  This requires more information about the COP/BDM interface
than is published in the MPC5200B user manual or data sheet.  I haven't used
the Abatron tools, so maybe they do this.  In the case of UrJtag, it is
simply fiddling with bus signals using boundry scan, so it is excruciatingly
slow.

-WITTROCK