mpc744x, Marvell mv6446x kernel guidance please

Marco Stornelli marco.stornelli at coritel.it
Fri Jul 11 17:01:51 EST 2008

Stephen Horton ha scritto:
> Hello folks,
>
> In a current work project, I have inherited a compactPCI board that has
> an mpc7447/7448 powerpc processor as well as a Marvell system
> controller, model mv64462 (stripped down mv64460). The board has a
> somewhat working Gentoo Linux port running on it from long ago and a
> company far far away (kernel version 2.6.9 built using arch/ppc). To
> prepare for an upcoming deployment, I would like to bring the OS
> up-to-date on this board with a newer kernel (targeting Gentoo 2008),
> but I am unsure of the approach to take. I am a software developer, but
> normally do not work on kernel porting / board integration. I have
> researched the arch/ppc to arch/powerpc migration, but I'm a bit
> intimidated by the 'new' device tree symantics and other changes to the
> stream. Here are some questions:
>
> 1.	Is it possible with the 2.6.24 (Gentoo 2008) kernel to still use
> arch/ppc for this platform architecture?  I've tried to get this to
> compile, but am having trouble with files from arch/powerpc getting
> pulled in; then I read some comments (from I believe this forum) that
> indicated that arch/ppc is not longer supposed to compile
> 2.	Does anyone have example code for this platform architecture?
> Any freebees I could use for creating my device tree?
> 3.	Any advice of any kind?
>
> Regards,
>
> Stephen

 > 1.	Is it possible with the 2.6.24 (Gentoo 2008) kernel to still use
 > arch/ppc for this platform architecture?  I've tried to get this to
 > compile, but am having trouble with files from arch/powerpc getting
 > pulled in; then I read some comments (from I believe this forum) that
 > indicated that arch/ppc is not longer supposed to compile

Good idea, I suggest you to use arch/powerpc, arch/ppc won't be
supported in the future and this folder there won't be anymore!

 > 2.	Does anyone have example code for this platform architecture?
 > Any freebees I could use for creating my device tree?

I suggest you to use, as starting point, a dts file for a board similar
to your board, I don't know if your board is somehow derived from one
evaluation board.

 > 3.	Any advice of any kind?
First of all read the kernel documentation about dts in the powerpc
folder. You can find in that documentation even some reference to the
open-firmware standard (IEEE 1275).

Last suggestions, I wouldn't use Gentoo Linux but a specific embedded
distribution, for example ELDK.

Regards,

--
Marco Stornelli