Booting ML405 (Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found)

John Linn John.Linn at xilinx.com
Fri Jul 11 00:21:44 EST 2008

With regards to arch/ppc:

I just built and tested it from the Xilinx Git tree (with ELDK 4.1) and
don't see the problem you see.  You shouldn't need anything on the
command line for the init, but I tried it matching yours without any
issue.

I noticed that you are using a UART Lite and I test with 16550.  We have
a reference design available for the 405 also to help you get a baseline
before you make changes, you can see where to get it at
http://git.xilinx.com <http://git.xilinx.com/>  also.   Getting a good
solid baseline before you make changes can make life easier, and maybe
you already did this and I don't realize it ;).

I can't tell how your kernel is configured, so I would use the Xilinx
provided default kernel configuration, then make changes from there
(like from 8250 UART and console to UART Lite).

>make ARCH=ppc ml405_defconfig

>make ARCH=ppc zImage.initrd

Since you pulled from the Xilinx Git tree, you should be able to get the
ML405 running easily (assuming I have done my job right).

You should be able to use arch/powerpc and it would be best to do that
as arch/ppc is not well supported now.  If you use the Xilinx default
kernel configuration you shouldn't need to do anything (such as finding
405 in the menuconfig)  if you use our reference design for the board
(bit stream).

I just tested from the Xilinx Git tree on the ML405 with arch/powerpc
and it looked good (using ELDK 4.1 tools).  The following commands
should build a kernel that runs on it. You might want to update if you
haven't pulled from the Xilinx Git tree in a while (git pull, or clone
the tree again in a new directory).

>make ARCH=powerpc mrproper

>make ARCH=powerpc ml405_defconfig

>make ARCH=powerpc zImage.initrd

With regards to the fact that you're restricting the memory to 32 Meg,
you might get try not doing this to get the kernel running properly,
then make that change.

Hope that helps,

John