Adding new driver in Linux 2.6 - read fails with -1

Jenkins, Clive Clive.Jenkins at xerox.com
Fri Jan 18 22:22:51 EST 2008

You are not giving enough information -- better to supply the complete
code of driver and application, and the complete kernel log, or put
them on a web/ftp site and supply pointers to them.

When your application calls read(), I cannot see whether you are
passing a valid file descriptor, whether you have opened the device
etc.  You say read() returns -1, but you don't give the value of errno
or the error string corresponding to that value. An easy way to get
this is to use perror() in your app.

>         /* Wait while empty. */
>         while (((status=readl( ((volatile unsigned char*)
remapped_address)

One thing I can see is that you have a "busy wait" loop in your
driver's read method. This will waste CPU time and may hang
indefinitely. Better to use wait-event_interruptible, and check for
termination of the wait by unexpected events such as signals and
changes of power management state.

Clive