ml310 kernel2.6 booting problems

Jean-Samuel Chenard jsamch at macs.ece.mcgill.ca
Fri Jan 18 13:49:13 EST 2008

> Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 21:19:04 +0100
> From: Joachim Meyer
> Hmmm... I'm not really ready to invest that much time into the PCI for ML-310.
> http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2007-December/029211.html
>
> How much work would it be (approximated), and do you think I can success (I'm a novice, like you know)?
> Would you help me (Tell me where to start & what to do)?

Hi Joachim,

I was also interested in getting the PCI to run on the ML-310.  I did
spend an evening trying to integrate a patch sent over by Stephen
Neuendorffer from Xilinx.  I managed to get everything to compile
(basically I fixed a few missing macros and had to search a bit to
ensure that the memory mapping was correctly ported).  Unfortunately,
when I tried the new kernel, I think that I must have messed something
up with the interrupt mappings (I am a newbie to PCI) and I had to
remove some interrupt mapping from Stephen's patch.

In any case, my ML-310 was booting the Linux kernel, but something was
not right and I did not get anymore printouts from the UART Lite.
Since I don't have the JTAG cable, I was stuck at this point with
little means to debug the system.  One day I'll spoil myself with one
of those platform JTAG USB cables...

I used Z-modem to transfer files to/from my workstation to my CF card
on the ML-310 and this was an acceptable compromise.

I'd still be interested in having the PCI bus working on the ML-310,
but now that I got my BEE2 booting Linux 2.6, its not such a big
priority for me.  Let me know if you have some success in that
direction.

Regards,

Jean-Samuel
--