USB Mass Storare (PCI Based)

Ansari ma.harounansari at gdatech.co.in
Tue Jan 15 21:26:20 EST 2008

Hi,

I want to configure linux kernel for USB Mass Storage device (PCI Based).In that i have few doubts. Can u pls calrify it.

Hardware
---------------
 MPC8560 (PCI Host  Mode )
 MPC8540 (PCI Agent Mode )
 ISP1564 (PCI Target - USB Host Controller)

Software
---------------
 Uboot 1.1.2
 Linux Kernel 2.4.10

Problem
--------------

 I am using default pci & usb driver given in uboot and linux kernel.

 In my board both MPC8560 (PCI Host), MPC8540 (PCI Agent) should access the ISP1564 USB host controller (PCI Target). All the three PCI devices connected in a single pci bus.

 My problem is when i load uboot (with PCI Config) and kernel (with PCI,USB-EHCI,USB Mass storage Config) in MPC8560. Its working properly.

 After MPC8560 booted , when i try to load uboot (with PCI support disabled) and kernel (with PCI,USB-EHCI,USB Mass storage Config).

The mass storage is not working in  MPC8540 . But its working in MPC8560.

 Few oberservation while testing :

  1. When i enable PCI support in MPC8540 uboot and not booting kernel. The usb mass storage not working in MPC8560 kernel.
  2. When i disable PCI support in MPC8540 uboot and not booting kernel(even if i boot kernel also). The usb mass storage working in MPC8560 kernel.
  3. In both the case /proc/bus/pci and /proc/pci not created in  MPC8540 kernel.( Note : I have enabled the option of proc file system , virtual file system support in MPC8540 kernel).

Questions

 1. By the above problem defintion can u able to guess . Wht would be the problem ???
 2. Why proc entry for pci is not created in MPC8540 kernel ??? . Whether PCI agent mode has any impact on it.??
 3. Whether any special changes required in pci uboot/kernel driver of MPC8540. Since PCI of MPC8540 is in Agent Mode.
 4. Whether any special changes required in USB kernel driver of MPC8540. Since PCI of MPC8540 is in Agent Mode.

Thanks in Advance

Regards
Haroun Ansari