Generic MMC-over-SPI binding?

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Thu Jan 10 08:55:31 EST 2008

On Wednesday 09 January 2008, Simon Richter wrote:
> > The important part where this connects to the mmc-spi driver is that
> > you need to set spi_board_info->modalias to "mmc-spi", if the
> > device node can be identified as an mmc card.
>
> Doing that now, using the code you provided as a base. The SPI child
> device gets registered, but it appears something is still missing as no
> messages I could attribute to mmc-spi appear. My suspicion would be that
> it doesn't like the monolithic kernel for some reason (the mmc-spi
> driver registers itself as a driver called "mmc_spi", not sure if the
> modalias handling will catch that; still investigating there).

Right, the modalias needs to be the same as the driver name, not the
module name, so you should change it to mmc_spi as well.
For loading the module it would not make a difference because - and _
are treated the same by the module loader, but the device only
gets associated with the driver when it matches exactly.

> > Then you call that function after registering the master, from
> > mpc52xx_psc_spi_of_probe.
>
> I've changed mpc52xx_psc_spi_do_probe to have an additional argument for
> the OF device node of the SPI master; ARCH=ppc can call this with NULL
> as long as it still exists.

Ok. keeping the code itself in the mpc52xx_psc_spi driver is fine as long
as it's relatively small. Other of_platform_drivers for SPI will just
have to it the same way.

	Arnd <><