PowerPC Cross Compiler's Arch doesnt match

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Wed Jan 9 11:39:12 EST 2008

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Parent wrote:
> I'm building a linux distro for work, that runs on embedded systems
> with either and ARM 9 or a PowerPC 603.  I've had great luck building
> a cross compiler w/ crosstools and using them in the compiler jail
> created by Scratchbox.  Now I am working on porting all my work to the
> PowerPC.  When I build the cross compilers I have selected GCC-4.0.1
> and GLIBC-2.3.5 for both setups.  I create my jail in Scratchbox for
> the PowerPC and try compiling any of the GNU applications and when
> running the configure script I get:

I have no idea what Scratchbox is, but when running gnu configure to
cross-compile something, you typically need to supply the following
switches:

--host=powerpc-linux --build=i686

and CC will have to point to your cross compiler (e.g. export
CC=powerpc-linux-gcc, or export CC=ppc_6xx-gcc, whatever your cross
compiler is called).  Of course, the values of these switches will
depend on your setup, but this is what I use and I've built all sorts of
packages from source.

regards,
Ben