PowerPC Cross Compiler's Arch doesnt match

Jeff Parent jeff.parent at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 08:39:07 EST 2008

I'm building a linux distro for work, that runs on embedded systems with
either and ARM 9 or a PowerPC 603.  I've had great luck building a cross
compiler w/ crosstools and using them in the compiler jail created by
Scratchbox.  Now I am working on porting all my work to the PowerPC.  When I
build the cross compilers I have selected GCC-4.0.1 and GLIBC-2.3.5 for both
setups.  I create my jail in Scratchbox for the PowerPC and try compiling
any of the GNU applications and when running the configure script I get:

<./configure for sed-4.1.5>
checking build system type... config/config.guess: unable to guess system
type

This script, last modified 2008-01-08, has failed to recognize
the operating system you are using. It is advised that you
download the most up to date version of the config scripts from

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/*checkout*/config/config/config.guess
and

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/*checkout*/config/config/config.sub

If the version you run (./config.guess.old) is already up to date, please
send the following data and any information you think might be
pertinent to <config-patches at gnu.org> in order to provide the needed
information to handle your system.

config.guess timestamp = 2008-01-08

uname -m = powerpc
uname -r = 2.6.18-5-686
uname -s = Linux
uname -v = #1 SMP Fri Jun 1 00:47:00 UTC 2007

/usr/bin/uname -p =
/bin/uname -X     =

hostinfo               =
/bin/universe          =
/usr/bin/arch -k       = powerpc
/bin/arch              = powerpc
/usr/bin/oslevel       =
/usr/convex/getsysinfo =

UNAME_MACHINE = powerpc
UNAME_RELEASE = 2.6.18-5-686
UNAME_SYSTEM  = Linux
UNAME_VERSION = #1 SMP Fri Jun 1 00:47:00 UTC 2007
configure: error: cannot guess build type; you must specify one
[sbox-PPC: ~/devel/packages/sed/sed-4.1.5] >

So I looked into configure.guess and I find:

UNAME_MACHINE=`(uname -m) 2>/dev/null` || UNAME_MACHINE=unknown
UNAME_RELEASE=`(uname -r) 2>/dev/null` || UNAME_RELEASE=unknown
UNAME_SYSTEM=`(uname -s) 2>/dev/null`  || UNAME_SYSTEM=unknown
UNAME_VERSION=`(uname -v) 2>/dev/null` || UNAME_VERSION=unknown

# Note: order is significant - the case branches are not exclusive.
case "${UNAME_MACHINE}:${UNAME_SYSTEM}:${UNAME_RELEASE}:${UNAME_VERSION}" in
<A bunch of Case Statements>
ppc:Linux:*:*)
	echo powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
	exit ;;
<More Case Statements.>

However I do not see a case where the UNAME_MACHINE is set to powerpc, other
than for the Machten.  Is there something I did wrong when creating my
cross-compiler?